Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Looks in the Souks

My hair still smells like the incense burned in the souks tonight.  Spices, rugs, restaurants, people from all over the world, cars honking, hookah pots smoking, caged birds, bunnies, and cats, candies, t-shirts...anything you could think of.  Nothin' like arab markets :)
What do you think ladies??  Pure and white these ones, eh? :)  I was walking tonight in the souks ('market' in Arabic) and a local, fully abbayah-wearing woman starts talking to a friend I was with who speaks Arabic.  This local woman said to my friend,"Is she married? (talking about me)...I know someone to marry her."  This woman kept insisting to my friend to the point my friend made me turn and we walk away!  I should have turned and said,"Only for 10 camels for my family!  Or rather cows as my grandparents could use those on their ranch."  Just a funny story....don't worry mom.

This picture does not do this restaurant justice!!  This was an Iranian place and the walls glittered like gold!  SO many colors...stained glass...mirrored pictures...candlelight glow...felt like a palace!
"Glad ya'll could join me for dinner!"
Dunkin' Donuts...Baskin Robbins....

I'm leaving for Chennai, India on Friday to attend a traditional, southern Indian wedding.  I'm having clothes made for it and everything!  

In honor of you, Mel, who scouted out the place.  If my big sis says it's ok, I'm right behind her :)  I'm so proud of you for graduating medical school this week and being the outstanding woman you are!  Hate that I cannot be there, but will be thinking of you and doing a traditional Indian dance just for you...yeah baby!

Until next time...




1 comment:

  1. Don't forget to say "no" instead of yea and to shake your head by touching your ear to your shoulder. Example, "Do you want to eat dinner, no???" I love you...Do some bollywood dancing for me!!

    ReplyDelete